There are several browser plug-ins commonly required to display content in Blackboard Learn:
- Install Mozilla Firefox
- Test your version of Java to ensure compatibility. Blackboard has tested and supports version 7 JRE. While JRE 6 may work, it could result in unexpected behavior.
- Install Abode Reader
- Install Adobe Flash Player
- Install Adobe Shockwave Player
- Install RealPlayer
- Install QuickTime
- Install Windows Media Player Plugin
(top of page)
Sometimes students continue to encounter problems despite having the latest version of Java installed on their systems. Having multiple or outdated Java, incorrect security settings, or caching issues may cause errors with the Blackboard system such as missing icons, inability to upload documents, problems with exams or discussion forums.If you have the latest version of Java, clear your Java cache. Clearing the Java Plug-in cache forces the browser to load the latest versions of web pages and programs.
To clear your Java cache in Windows:
- Click Start > Control Panel.
- Locate and double click the Java icon in the Control Panel.
- Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.
- Click Delete Files.
- Select all boxes and click OK on Delete Temporary Files window. Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
- Click OK on Temporary Files Settings window.
- Click OK to close the Java Control Panel.
To clear your Java cache in Mac OS X:
- Double click your Macintosh hard drive.
- Double click Applications.
- Double click Utilities.
- Double click Java Preferences.
- Click the Network tab.
- Click the Delete Files… button.
- You are prompted to delete your temporary files for Java. Make sure all boxes are selected with check marks. Click OK.
- Close the Java Preferences window.