Instructors who have multiple sections of the same course use Smart Views to organize their students in their Grade Centers and email students from each section separately. Creating and maintaining Groups has been clunky, especially during the first few weeks of school when students are adding and dropping and Groups having to be constantly monitored and modified. Follow the steps below to create Smart Views that automatically adjust, based on the child course column in the Grade Center.
1. From a Blackboard Course, go to Grade Center > Full Grade Center > Manage > Smart Views.
3. Give it a name, check the box next to Add as Favorite, and from Selection Criteria > Type of View choose Custom.
4. From Select Criteria > User Criteria, choose Child Course ID. (Note: you will see this only in a merged course with two or more child courses.) You will need to know the exact ID of the Child Course
(at USD it is DEPT – COURSE NUMBER – SECTION NUMBER – TERM, e.g. ACCT-201-01-SP15).
5. If you’d like to see all grade columns for your students (and you probably would), select All Columns from the Filter Results drop-down.
6. Click Submit. Voila! You can now access your Smart View by clicking on Grade Center and choosing the name of the Smart View underneath, or by hovering over Full Grade Center next to Current View and choosing a Smart View. (Pro tip: put a symbol such as an underscore ( _ ) before the title of any Smart View to bump it to the top of the alphabetized list.)
Because the Smart View uses the Child Course ID to automatically filter your students into the correct Smart View, you no longer have to manually maneuver users into their respective groups (unless you want to restrict content, Assignments, Tests, etc. by section–in that case, I recommend creating a Group for each section of your class).
Bonus: You can use the Email the students in one section/Smart View by displaying that Smart View (Step 5), clicking the check box next to Last Name to select all, hovering over the Email button, and choosing Email Selected Users.